Will any Chrysler flathead 6 work with Fluid Drive?

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by Guest, Apr 2, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a 1941 6 with Vacamatic Fluid Drive. My engine may need to be
    replaced,and I was wondering if any Chrysler flathead 6 would fit and
    work. The size of my engine is 245.1 and I know that in 42-49 the
    size was 250.6. Other sizes were in Dodges, 230, but would any of
    them work with the Fluid Drive?
    Guest, Apr 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  2. Guest

    MoPar Man Guest

    Does Dan Stern still follow this newsgroup?

    Or perhaps his knowledge doesn't extend back that far?
    MoPar Man, Apr 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  3. Guest

    Bill Putney Guest

    Haven't seen him here in a long time - I think he posted once in the
    last year.
    Bill Putney, Apr 3, 2009
  4. Guest

    Martin Bose Guest

    I'm guessing that if you measure the length of the head it will be 25",
    as opposed to the 23" for the 218/230 inch motors used in Plymouths and
    Dodges. If it is 25" long, then there are a number of versions of this
    engine, getting all the way up to 265 ci in some applications. All
    should work in your application, although you should confirm that the
    flywheel bolt pattern is identical, as Ma Mopar sometimes changes them
    unexpectedly (like the different bolt patterns between the 218 and 230
    23" motors).


    47 Plymouth with a hopped up flathead 6
    Martin Bose, Apr 3, 2009
  5. Guest

    Steve Guest

    I stay in touch with Dan on and off, but I don't think that falls in his
    expertise. After all, the flathead doesn't slant... ;-)

    I actually own a 1949 215 flathead, but I don't know if there are
    compatibility issues between different versions and the Fluid Drive
    system. IIRC, Fluid Drive uses engine oil for the clutch, so at least
    plumbing to the oiling system has to be available. The Flatheads all
    have an external partial-flow oil filter, though, so two ports are
    indeed available on all of them. But I don't know if the engines
    intended for use with Fluid Drive got a different setup or not.
    Steve, Apr 3, 2009
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The Chrysler Fluid Drive is a separate unit attached to the flywheel,
    you might be thinking of the Plymouth version that used the engine oil
    for the transmission also. I have the Vacamatic 4 speed,
    semi-automatic. My engine is 241.5 cubic inch, and I know that bigger
    sixes with Fluid Drive were used up to the 265 in the DeSoto before
    all went to the V-8. I hope that my block is OK, I have been trying
    to locate a spare engine somewhere, I am a member of the Walter P.
    Chrysler Club, so hopefully, it will not be that bad. Someone said
    that I could use the 250.6, as it was used in Chryslers from 42-52
    with the same Fluid Drive torque converter.
    Guest, Apr 3, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.