Replaced heads starts but runs wide open

Discussion in 'Sebring' started by Hillcrest, Apr 29, 2023.

1. Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Ran my own shop for 30 years and retired now but always try to help others with car woes.
    A buddy of mine bought a 98 Sebring convertible with a 2.5, broken timing belt and bent valves, it was junk when he got it but he's been trying to revive it for two years. He's an OTR driver and messes with it when home.
    He installed 2 reman heads and new timing components. Upon first visit I found out the fuel pump was bad so I helped him drop the tank and replace that and the filter. After the luxury of lifts for 30 years it's always enlightening to work on a dirt floor in a shed on the side of a hill.
    It starts but runs wide open as if theres a huge vacuum leak past the throttle plate.
    After fixing a couple obvious leaks nothing changed. He replaced the distributor during the build.
    But I can't see that causing the WOT symptoms. Unplugging the MAP sensor makes it drop rpm but runs and missfires.
    Swapping sensors didn't help.
    I'm beginning to suspect he's got valves staying open or cam timing but he swears they got it right.
    Any ideas?

Hillcrest, Apr 29, 2023
Ask a Question