Replace '98 Cirrus factory speakers

Discussion in 'Cirrus' started by Phil Breau, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Phil Breau

Phil Breau Guest

I want to replace the 6x9 speakers. I don't trust installers 100%. Some are
    butchers. I want to DIY. It looks like the speakers are mounted from the
    top. How do I remove the fabric skin from the the rear window area to get
    access to the mounting screws and remove the speakers? What size are the
    door speakers. I have a nice pair of 6-1/2 as well. If the same, how do I
    remove the door panels or do I just pry on the grille?

Thank you

Phil

Phil Breau, Oct 25, 2003
  2. Phil Breau

RobertsUSMC10

Phil,
    I just purchased a 1998 Chrysler Cirrus and the factory speakers are totally crap. I am about to replace these speakers and I was wondering if you could give me any pointers.

Blake

RobertsUSMC10, Jun 2, 2014
  3. Phil Breau

DanM

if you plan to do the door speakers, be mindful of the stupid door panel studs. they will likely break and are a pain in the ass to fit in replacement studs. if you have a duel setup 6x9 speaker,(rears) all you have to do is cut the connecting module of the factory plug in. you should see it plugged into the stock speaker. there are four wires connecting into the module. cut that off and separate the two groups of two. when you put the new speaker in, take the now cut existing wires and connect them to your new 6x9. you can crimp on some new connection pieces to make it look nice but id doesn't much make a difference for sound. anyways, if you play around with the two sets of two, alternating connections you will know when you get it right because the sound will essentially sound right. on the stock 6x9 there is a tweeter in the center for advanced treble. you wont push a 6x9 well with a tweeter frequency. I did this and still wasn't happy. so I rigged my home theatre sub with just twisting the existing cut wires to my subs wires and my system rocks the house. funny how the jimmy rigging sounds better than my legit speaker work. crazy..... hope that helped. probably already fixed it seeing how old this post is.

remove door panels for door speakers,
    get to the rears by access through the trunk.
    dash tweeters are a waste of time and a pain in the ass to get to. don't bother with those.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    DanM, Oct 2, 2014
Ask a Question