PT Cruiser - Losing Coolant

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by rll, Jan 30, 2006.

1. rll

rll Guest

I was cleaning the wife's 2001 PT Cruiser (with 48,000 miles) yesterday and noticed that the overflow reservoir was low (perhaps empty). So I removed the radiator cap and found that the coolant level was low in the engine as well. I added ~two quarts to the engine radiator and filled the overflow as well.

Has anyone else had trouble with coolant loss in their PT Cruiser? Is this covered by the warranty?

Thanks,

- Russ in Santa Barbara

rll, Jan 30, 2006
  2. rll

maxpower Guest

I was cleaning the wife's 2001 PT Cruiser (with 48,000 miles) yesterday and noticed that the overflow reservoir was low (perhaps empty). So I removed the radiator cap and found that the coolant level was low in the engine as well. I added ~two quarts to the engine radiator and filled the overflow as well.

Has anyone else had trouble with coolant loss in their PT Cruiser? Is this covered by the warranty?

Thanks,

- Russ in Santa Barbara

A leak would have to be found in order to try to get it under warranty and then with the mileage you have on it, you would have to have a service contract because the basic warranty has expired 3/36.
    You can take a look at the thermostat housing where it bolts to the intake to see if it is leaking there, if not have someone raise the vehicle and check the undercarriage for leaks.

Glenn Beasley
    Chrysler tech

maxpower, Jan 30, 2006
  3. rll

Richard Guest

Had same issue last year on my 01. Turns out the factory put in the radiator
    a bit cocked and it cracked. I put in an Asian $100.00 replacement. It took
    a lot of effor to clean out the system. It has been perfect for about 15,000
    miles now. The radiator shop charged me $150 labor. I supplied the Chrysler
    coolant and a quart of distilled water. They cleaned the system out and put
    it all together.

Richard.

Richard, Jan 31, 2006
Ask a Question