"Power Steering Fluid" & Auto Trans Fluid - Interchangeable?

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by maxpower, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. maxpower

    maxpower Guest

    Isnt hydraulic oil also called a fluid?? And chrysler has been putitng ATF 4
    in the Power steering system from 1993 to present check the TSB 19-005-03
    Glenn Beasley
    Chrysler Tech
    maxpower, Oct 9, 2004
  2. maxpower

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    A few years ago, when you needed to change or add to the power steering
    pump, you simply used Dextron automatic transmission fluid.

    First of all, why do they even call this stuff, "fluid", when it is really
    a hydraulic oil? But more importantly, is there any fundamental difference
    in the composition and properties between these two fluids? In a pinch, am
    I safe to use automatic transmission fluid in the power steering pump,
    regardless of the recommendations.

    Maybe its just a scam to get you to buy from Mopar instead of Pep Boys.
    Nomen Nescio, Oct 10, 2004
  3. maxpower

    nobody Guest

    "Fluid" sounds more impressive, implying it was specially formulated.
    The word fluid is a general term for either liquids or gases as
    opposed to solids. Air and water are both fluids, but air is a gas
    and water is a liquid.
    nobody, Oct 11, 2004
Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.