Hartop Roof Will NOT Go Down or Up

Discussion in 'Sebring' started by tpieples, Jan 26, 2019.

1. tpieples

tpieples

My 2008 Sebring Hardtop Convertible's issues all started with the roof retracting half way. After waiting an hour it would retract fully. Same going up. The computer display reads: CONVERTIBLE TOP IN OPERATION
    After looking on line, I deduced that the oil in the pump needs filled. Not wanting to do this myself because it is located behind the rear seat, I took it to the dealer. Without investigating, they immediately talked me out of the issue being lack of fluid in the pump, saying it's a closed system, so it can't just lose oil. After they took had it for 2 weeks, they replaced the roof's motor and tinkered around with other things that cost $1,000. Not only did they NOT fix the roof, now the rear defroster and the trunk release don't work! This is a pretty reputable dealer. Although the retractable roof is a nice luxury, I need the defrosters and trunk release!
    My questions:
    1.) Can my roof problem be because there is not enough oil in the pump? If so, I'm going to give it a shot myself.
    2.) What could have caused the rear defroster and trunk release to stop working immediately upon getting the car back from the dealer? Could it be they knocked some wires off? I immediately took it back to them and they said it was corrosion in the wires. They didn't charge me for this diagnosis. But, it's too coincidental for me to think that all of a sudden, the corrosion caused this.
    They are also taking a firm stance that the corrosion in the wires is what is keeping the roof from operating.
    I would appreciate any advice you have.
    P.S.
    Now the driver door window retracts when the door is opened, as it should. But, does not automatically go back up when closed. This is a real inconvenience when I need to raise the window after the door is shut by climbing across from the passenger side...every time!
    Thanks for letting me share my misery!

tpieples, Jan 26, 2019
Ask a Question