Cooling fan is constantly on Chrysler Voyager LE ...HELP !

Discussion in 'Voyager' started by twinets, Sep 2, 2008.

  1. twinets

    twinets Guest

    Got a problem with my Voyager (its an R reg 1998)
    The cooling fan is constantly running even when keys have been removed
    from ignition. I think it’s the relay switch and have had an
    electrical enginner out to look at it. He’s never worked on a Chrysler
    before so it was all new. He looked through manual and even on
    internet , stripped the car out to get to radiator / fan to locate
    this relay switch but he cant find nothng. He said it may have to be
    done by computor in which case it’s gonna cost me big time.
    So question is, does anyone know where to locate the relay switch or
    does it not actually exist ?
    Please help,,,, destressed mum of 5 who needs her minivan !
    Cath x
    twinets, Sep 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. twinets

    maxpower Guest

    The fan relay module is located just under the battery on the frame rail.
    There was a recall out to have this part replaced in May of 1998, has yours
    been done?

    Glenn Beasley
    Chrysler Tech
    maxpower, Sep 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  3. I'm still not sure why they call it a relay in the first place. It is a
    transistor (probably a FET of some kind) that the computer pulses to PWM the
    power to the fan motor for variable speed. In the OP's case the FET simply
    failed shorted (on) which they are known to do.
    Daniel Who Wants to Know, Sep 2, 2008
  4. twinets

    Bill Putney Guest

    As happens sometimes as new technology evolves, the terminology can
    sometimes get muddy (examples: A valve lifter is technically not the
    same as valve lash adjuster, but out of habit for a part whose purpose
    is similar but not exactly the same, they are referred to as lifters,
    even though technically that's inaccurate. Also - the steering knuckle
    on today's front wheel drive cars does not have a spindle, yet, again,
    out of habit, people sometimes refer to the steering knuckles on our
    cars as spindles. Also - up until 5 years ago, there was a distinct
    difference in the meaning of the words "generator" and "alternator" in
    the context of cars. Yet, the official term used by SAE and the
    manufacturers in their documentation (FSM's, etc.) for the thing you and
    I have always referred to as an alternator is now "generator").

    In the world of electronics, when a manufactured module has the same
    function as an old-school relay (low current input used to control a
    large current output), but is comprised of electronics instead of
    electro-mechanical components, the resulting device is often referred to
    and marketed as "a solid state relay". So in that regard, it could just
    be called a relay, and often is as in this case.

    Bill Putney
    (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
    address with the letter 'x')
    Bill Putney, Sep 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.