Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by Richard, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    My book for my PT and Town & Country lists something like a G-02 type. But
    the Chrysler only sells a 3 year and 5 year without any such type ID. Just
    what is the recommended product at the Chrysler dealer?

    Richard, Oct 14, 2004
  2. G-O5. You can get it at a well-stocked parts store.
    Daniel J. Stern, Oct 14, 2004
  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    You miss my point. What stuff at the Chrysler dealer is G-O5 since their
    stuff does not carry that label?

    Richard, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Richard

    jdoe Guest

    If it's mopar "branded" than it should be fine.
    jdoe, Oct 14, 2004
  5. Richard

    Bill Putney Guest

    The Mopar 5/100 type should be the right stuff. You should see "MS6769"
    referenced somewhere on the container.

    In the aftermarket, you will need to find it in Zerex brand - but make
    sure it has the G-05 reference. If it's Zerex brand and does not say
    G-05 on it (prominently on the front of the container), it's not the
    right type. Not every auto parts store carries it, but enough do that
    you should be able to find it. Some carry Zerex, but not every type
    that Zerex makes - so, again - look for the G-05.

    Also, you can go to a Ford dealer and ask for their WSS-M97B51-A1. Be
    aware that, believe it or not, the color of what you get from Chrysler
    will be orange, from Ford will be yellow - same thing chemically - Ford
    just has theirs dyed yellow, Go figure!

    Bill Putney
    (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
    adddress with the letter 'x')
    Bill Putney, Oct 14, 2004
  6. Why won't any antifreeze work?
    General Schvantzkoph, Oct 14, 2004
  7. Richard

    Bill Putney Guest

    Any will work - for a while. The OAT-type (DexCool™/Prestone Extended
    Life™) was supposed to be better than the green stuff - no phosphates
    and no silicates.

    Back in the 80's, the Japanese mfgrs. (Toyota, Subaru, maybe Honda) sold
    there own antifreezes in the dealerships - claimed that you would have
    problems if you used regular American green stuff. People thought it
    was a gimmick at over $10 a gallon. However, the tubes in the Japanese
    radiators were very small, and they definitely would clog up with green
    antifreeze - American car radiator tubes were a lot fatter and weren't
    so badly affected by a small buildup. From hangin out on Subaru forums,
    and having owned one for several years, I can tell you that there
    actually was something to the Toyota/Subaru claims. If you used green
    antifreeze in your Subaru, you were guaranteed to need a new radiator by
    150k miles.

    People appear to have had some problems with the OAT type - some solders
    apparently don't hold up well, and there can be corrosion problems in
    the system. Then someone figured out that a little silicate will solve
    those problems, so the G-05 was developed. I don't know if there are
    other major chemical differences.

    Here's an interesting article:
    apparently written by a Valvoline/Zerex guy for a trade magazine.

    Bill Putney
    (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
    adddress with the letter 'x')
    Bill Putney, Oct 15, 2004
  8. Because "any antifreeze" isn't the correct fluid. G-O5 is. Next stupid
    Daniel J. Stern, Oct 15, 2004
  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    And you would think Chrysler would make it easy to find G-O5 type
    anti-freeze, but noooo. They don't make any reference to it and the guys in
    the parts departments have no information on G-O5, just Chrysler part
    numbers for various anti-freeze products.

    Richard, Oct 15, 2004
  10. Why fart around asking for it from Chrysler? It's right on the shelf at
    most every auto parts outlet. Hell, even Canadian Tire has it!
    Daniel J. Stern, Oct 15, 2004
  11. Richard

    Bob Guest

    Just go to Auto Zone. They have it.
    Bob, Oct 16, 2004
  12. Why should they? It's the responsibility of the aftermarket parts
    to determine compatibility with their products and your vehicle. It is not
    the factory's responsibility to produce a cross reference to everyone elses'
    part numbers.

    If I buy a new burner for my electric stove that comes from FSP, I am
    certainly not going to find the FSP number out by calling Amana.

    Ted Mittelstaedt, Oct 17, 2004
  13. Richard

    Bill Putney Guest

    But he would need to know the G-05 designation and that it's only
    available aftermarket from Zerex - otherwise, they're liable to sell him
    anything they have on the shelf that has "Chrysler" mentioned anywhere
    on the label (that's best case).

    Bill Putney
    (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
    adddress with the letter 'x')
    Bill Putney, Oct 17, 2004
Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.