1992 Lebaron Electrical Gremlins

Discussion in 'LeBaron' started by SaberMike, Nov 19, 2018.

1. SaberMike

SaberMike

I just got a very low millage 1992 LeBaron convertible with the 3.0L. While looking good and running perfectly I have a lot of electrical gremlins I hope you all can help me with. Some or all issues

1. Headlight Doors don't open or close, just swing freely. I hear what sound like a motor run for a little when I turn on the headlights. (I am guessing some linkage disconnected, mechanical Gremlin)

2. When I turn on the headlights they come right on as well as the dash lights and the headlight indicator comes on the dash. When I turn of the lights the dash and indicator go off but the headlights stay on. I then have to restart the car with the light switch in the off position to turn off headlights.

3. The Speedometer doesn't read anything, all other dash items work perfectly.

4. The radio and all interior light (except dash) don't work at any time. I found the fuse was missing so I replaced it. Now all of the interior lights and radio work great however never turn off so I pulled the fuse back out. This is with the key in or out didn't matter. (I was thinking failed relay in the on position but don't know of a relay that controls that combination of items)

Have not found any other issues yet. Thanks for your time and brain power to help me on this project.

SaberMike, Nov 19, 2018
  2. SaberMike

Golferdon

Hi SaberMike,
    Lots of possibilities and more then likely interconnected. From your description the headlight door mechanism is disconnected. Best advice is to find a Chrysler Maintenance manual for the LX. Haynes and Chilton manuals can help with the headlight door mechanism but electrical schematics are rudimentary and there is no diagnostic help in either. Another twist is the dash digital or analog? Makes a world of difference to diagnose.
    Another avenue is to talk with some well established repair houses in your area and find an experienced mechanic who may have the experience. Good luck.

Golferdon, Nov 20, 2018
  3. SaberMike

SaberMike

Analog dash, I talked to the previous owner last night and he said it had been working for him but was reading 10 mph over for the last year.

SaberMike, Nov 20, 2018
Ask a Question