05 Caravan engine problem diagnosis ASAP

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by logancormier, Nov 7, 2017.

1. logancormier

logancormier

STARTUP/RUN/REV VIDEO:

Alright you oil monkeys, wtf is going on here? 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (same as Chrysler Town & Country) 3.8l v6 Pentastar engine, 130k miles, no history of mechanical issues, half-decent maintenance AFAIK (multiple owners), bought it from a coworker who doesn't know cars much but wouldn't sell me a lemon knowingly. Only diagnostic tool reading was for the EGR.

Had a slight ticking after warming up when I bought it, did a hard full acceleration once, hit redline and wouldn't shift out of first, backed off and it shifted, lost some power, much louder ticking (you don't hear the same ticking anymore, it's now the knock/clang), and would keep lurching a little when coming to a stop. Drove about 7 miles on that. Sound is coming from the left side of the motor, loudest from the pan with a stethoscope but that's also where sound would reverberate most. Compression on each cylinder was anywhere from 70-110, except the back left which was around 50.

This is the first car I've worked on so idfk but I'm thinking timing chain or camshaft, threw a bearing, possibly oil pressure problem/overheating (and oil pressure sensor not reading right cause there's no error for it) caused sticky lifters, bent pushrod, loose/bent rocker arm, bent valve stem, stuck valve, oooooorr rings fucked up. For the love of Chrysler, HELP ME.

Secondary: If I were to get a new engine, would I be able to remove the current one and place the new one in via jacks, stands, and ratchet straps, or is there no option to do it myself?

Thirdary: Where would I get the most money for the van as is? Couple minor electrical problems but aside from that everything is in pretty dang good shape for an 05.

logancormier, Nov 7, 2017
Ask a Question