Chrysler Car Forums


Reply
 
L.G.R.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2007
Hi everyone.
I have a problem as once in a while i start the car and nothing works on the
board. Neither the temperature gage nor the gaz gage nor the speed needle.
Everything is dead only on the board. Everything else works fine. And it
comes back to normal after few hours of non running the car such at the nex
morning.
Anyone ever had the same problem? Thanks in advance.
L.G.T.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dave gower
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2007

"L.G.R." <louisg.roy@(enlever)videotron.ca> wrote

> I have a problem as once in a while i start the car and nothing works on
> the board. Neither the temperature gage nor the gaz gage nor the speed
> needle. Everything is dead only on the board. Everything else works fine.
> And it comes back to normal after few hours of non running the car such at
> the nex morning.
> Anyone ever had the same problem?


Yup. Last year on my 98 Voyager.

It's a common problem. The circuit board gets cracks in the solder joints.
The solution is a recycled cluster. Easy to find at a yard and not tough to
replace if you're handy ( a Hayne's or similar manual helps). Any decent
tech can do the job in an hour or so. Any Voyager or Caravan 96-2000 will
fit but try to find a 2000, they are better. Good luck.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
L.G.R.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2007
Thank you very much. But you don't mean to change the whole part of the dash
that contains the gauges and the speed counter? And ain't there no recall
from the company on that specific part?
L.G.R.

"dave gower" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
d909d$46741479$d8fed054$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "L.G.R." <louisg.roy@(enlever)videotron.ca> wrote
>
>> I have a problem as once in a while i start the car and nothing works on
>> the board. Neither the temperature gage nor the gaz gage nor the speed
>> needle. Everything is dead only on the board. Everything else works fine.
>> And it comes back to normal after few hours of non running the car such
>> at the nex morning.
>> Anyone ever had the same problem?

>
> Yup. Last year on my 98 Voyager.
>
> It's a common problem. The circuit board gets cracks in the solder joints.
> The solution is a recycled cluster. Easy to find at a yard and not tough
> to
> replace if you're handy ( a Hayne's or similar manual helps). Any decent
> tech can do the job in an hour or so. Any Voyager or Caravan 96-2000 will
> fit but try to find a 2000, they are better. Good luck.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
maxpower
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2007

"L.G.R." <louisg.roy@(enlever)videotron.ca> wrote in message
news:IYRci.78941$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi everyone.
> I have a problem as once in a while i start the car and nothing works on

the
> board. Neither the temperature gage nor the gaz gage nor the speed needle.
> Everything is dead only on the board. Everything else works fine. And it
> comes back to normal after few hours of non running the car such at the

nex
> morning.
> Anyone ever had the same problem? Thanks in advance.
> L.G.T.
>
>

It could be a circuit board problem or a communication problem with the BCM
(Body Control Module) . You may want to have the BCM scanned for any faults
codes before you just install a circuit board.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech


 
Reply With Quote
 
L.G.R.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2007

"maxpower" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
http://www.thechryslerforums.com/(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "L.G.R." <louisg.roy@(enlever)videotron.ca> wrote in message
> news:IYRci.78941$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi everyone.
>> I have a problem as once in a while i start the car and nothing works on

> the
>> board. Neither the temperature gage nor the gaz gage nor the speed
>> needle.
>> Everything is dead only on the board. Everything else works fine. And it
>> comes back to normal after few hours of non running the car such at the

> nex
>> morning.
>> Anyone ever had the same problem? Thanks in advance.
>> L.G.T.
>>
>>

> It could be a circuit board problem or a communication problem with the
> BCM
> (Body Control Module) . You may want to have the BCM scanned for any
> faults
> codes before you just install a circuit board.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech


Thank you.
In fact a Chrysler dealer just changed the BCM and an other part that have
to be programed to the serial number of the car and charged me 1500$. And it
does that now. They have changed those 2 modules because the car just
woul'nd start any more. They also canceled the anti thief. I will go back to
the garage monday morning.
Have a good week end.
L.G.R.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
dave gower
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2007

"L.G.R." <louisg.roy@(enlever)videotron.ca> wrote

> ...you don't mean to change the whole part of the dash that contains the
> gauges and the speed counter? And ain't there no recall from the company
> on that specific part?


The problem is probably in the circuit board which feeds the whole cluster,
so yes you have to replace the whole thing. That's the way cars are made
these days. As to a recall, you could ask but my local dealer didn't mention
it last year and I doubt it very much. It is 9 years old after all.

BTW Glenn's suggestion is very valid, but what I was told is if it's coming
and going (as against just failing) it's likely the cluster not computer.

Good luck.

 
Reply With Quote
 
L.G.R.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2007

"maxpower" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "L.G.R." <louisg.roy@(enlever)videotron.ca> wrote in message
> news:IYRci.78941$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi everyone.
>> I have a problem as once in a while i start the car and nothing works on

> the
>> board. Neither the temperature gage nor the gaz gage nor the speed
>> needle.
>> Everything is dead only on the board. Everything else works fine. And it
>> comes back to normal after few hours of non running the car such at the

> nex
>> morning.
>> Anyone ever had the same problem? Thanks in advance.
>> L.G.T.
>>
>>

> It could be a circuit board problem or a communication problem with the
> BCM
> (Body Control Module) . You may want to have the BCM scanned for any
> faults
> codes before you just install a circuit board.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech


Hi! Finaly they changed the BCM and the PCM at the cost of 1700$. And the
problem is still there (occasionaly dead cluster board), but now the car
start all the time.
I suspect that the car wouln'd start even after changing those two parts, so
they bypassed the anti thief because they have disconnected it. I have asked
them to bypast the anti thief at the first place but they said that is too
complicated, so they din't.
My next step is to change the cluster board.
I think of writing Chrysler about it.
L.G.R.

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:24 AM.